Week Two:

SURVIVING IN THE BUBBLE

Gosh, where to start

The brilliant weather continues and the days seem to blur into the next.  If I have learned anything over the years then my pearl of wisdom would be that there is an art to doing nothing.  Luckily I am quite good at it.  I know some people struggle with the concept and try to keep themselves busy, but I figure that if I give myself one job in a day and accomplish it, then I am winning!

Thus said, Amanda and I seem to have settled into a harmonious routine. (At least we arent trying to kill each other yet!).  The lights seem to be going out a little later than they normally would and we get to laze in bed in the mornings for a wee bit longer than usual.  For once we are getting our 8hrs beauty sleep.  

Not that there is anyone around to impress or who would care about how we look right now, in lockdown.  However we both decided we should at least make an effort so we shaved our legs this week.  But its all the other hairy bits Im worried about.  I think in future hairdressers and beauticians should be considered essential services!!!

Amanda has been spending her time transforming the garden at the property.  Im not a gardener by any stretch of the imagination. It looks like back-breaking work to me plus there appears to be a huge number of stones mixed in the soil.  I have helped her re-locate several glass recycle binsworth of rocks and her biggest highlight is when the green waste gets collected mid-week so she can fill that damn bin up again.

I on the other hand, have spent most days procrastinating when I should be writing.  Instead I have taken charge of other important household chores like the laundry and concocting us both delicious lunches.
  
My biggest responsibility has been ordering the provisions.  I had suggested we look to do this online and after Amandas nightmare experience at Pak n Save Richmond, she was in total accordance.

It was a bit of a mission to get our grocery order lodged with Countdowns click & collectservice.  It required staying up until midnight on a couple of occasions to get a much desired and in demand time-slot.  But our perseverance paid off and we are looking forward to getting some fresh supplies this Saturday (especially the chocolate).

I did make a trip to Raeward Fresh in Richmond earlier this week to stock up on some fresh fruit and vegetables.  It was a) liberating to go for a drive and b) a pleasant shopping experience, so will likely do this again.  They even had flour!

I have also enjoyed foraging.  The garden here has revealed some surprising treasures.  We have spinach, spring onions, rosemary and sage.  Plus I have picked the last of the grapes, apples and blackberries (on a prick-less bush...have never come across one of those before).

Thank you to the various friends who have dropped off a pumpkin, tomatoes, free range eggs, offered a television and delivered some comfortable chairs.  Also a big shout out to our absent neighbours.  Not wanting to see the basil or lemons go to waste we have raided their gardens too; and now feijoa season begins, yum yum.

Between us we have made the following with some of our windfall and ill-gotten gains: an apple crumble, stewed apple with feijoa, basil pesto, banana loaf, cheese scones, lemon curd, yoghurt and pumpkin soup.  

As I write, Amanda is in the kitchen whipping up a lemon cake.  She has been designated chief baker (I admit to making the scones though) and we are taking turn about to cook dinner, things like smoked fish pie, eggplant parmigiana, cerviche, schnitzel, chicken satay stir fry and wraps.  We are not starving, even though we are only eating twice a day, with doing the 16-8 fasting thing.  

Playing 2-handed 500, thanks to Annabel for the comfy chairs.
I am missing my daily swim but have been walking most days.  Luckily Amanda has her and Marks bicycles down here, so for the first time in a number of years I have been bike riding.  I was a bit saddle sore after the first ride but figure it has to be good for my arse.  Amanda is also being extremely disciplined with her yoga, which I should do too.

And while we are all adjusting to this sudden change in the way we lead our lives, we really should be thankful.  

Thankful to the front-line medical health workers who are out there risking their lives to keep this corona-virus at bay.  Then there are the essential workers in the supermarkets etc who are keeping the cogs of our world going so that we can still eat.   And the fact that the government is endeavoring to keep everyone safe and offering a monetary subsidy is amazing in itself.  

I cant help but think that this time is a gift.  A time for everyone to re-connect and re-evaluate about what is important in life.  What an equaliser.  It also begs the question of how we may be able to improve or change the way we do things moving forward?  It really is a time for people to wake up and smell the roses.

While our world might appear to be in turmoil, I take reassurance that all around us nature continues on its usual trajectory.  The sun still signals the start of a new day and the moon follows at night.  I see and hear the birds and bees (and those noisy cicadas) and note those trees that are bearing fruit while others lose their leaves with winters approach.  And feel that all is not lost.

I have made some wonderful observations this last week of families (with teenagers) going for walks with not a device in sight (when was the last time they did that?)  Of people having the time to do those jobs around the house that never get done.  The laughter (and tears) of children down the street playing in their yards.  And that gives me hope.

So here are some more pix from my walks around the neighbourhood and positive quotes/jokes/information that have tickled my fancy this last week.





                             

Thanks for tuning in to surviving in the bubble.

onepurplefish



















Comments

Popular Posts